Saturday, April 14, 2007

about jack...

I'm sure there is someone wondering what "Jack's Tavern" is all about. Well, in its simplest form... it's nothing. I was setting up my blog and realized, "hey, I need a name." About that time, a big hairy blob rolled over and laid across my feet. That blob would be named Jack and is my dog of going on 8 years now. [Side note: I'll get to my other dog in a later blog and how she came to be named].

Once I decided to use Jack in the name, I began thinking about what I want my blog to embody as far as purpose and atmosphere (I guess this is where the "nothing" that I referred to actually becomes something). Now, sometimes when you think of a tavern, you think of lots of drinking, smoking and sticky bar stools. Let's upscale my idea of this particular tavern a bit. First, it exists in one of the states that outlaws smoking in public places so the air in Jack's Tavern is breathed, not seen. Second, I've hired Mindy C as the tavern manager - rest easy tonight knowing there will be no sticky bar stools, germy tabletops, or nasty floors. It's immaculate. And, more importantly, bacteria free. Third, this is more of a hole-in-the-wall, quiet, conversationally driven pub-like establishment... no obnoxious drunks, bad dancers, or close talkers with questionable breath. And since I mentioned the word "pub", no rowdy Irishmen.

Now that you have that picture in mind, the reason I picked "tavern" is not (contrary to what my mom might think) to get under my parent's skin because she and my dad both abhor drinking of any kind (having an alcoholic father will do that to a kid, and sadly both of them did). It's actually because there is this relaxed, welcoming, and almost "safe" feel that a tavern tends to exude. It is both a place of familiarity and anonymity. You know the place - 'where everybody knows your name', but no one knows your thoughts unless you volunteer them. A tavern paints personal conversation seated closely to gracious dissimilarity. Anyway, that's the reason for it being Jack's Tavern, and not Jack's Burger Barn, Jack's Bar & Grill or the ever popular Jack's Beer Emporium. Oh, and just to stay on the up and up, the subtitle of my blog (who's jack and where's my pina colada?) is TOTALLY to get under my parent's skin and so very random I still don't know where it came from.

So... all of that to say, pull up a stool, order your favorite ale and join the conversation... drinks are on the house.

3 comments:

mindy clarkson said...

no one gets a straw that is not in a wrappper...and you can forget any random bowls of nuts.

- the very detailed, and always cautious...manageress

Aaron Ivey said...

if drinks are on the house, i am in!

mindy clarkson said...

o.k. keri. it's time for another one. we're waiting...